Where to file?

COVID has impacted many of the in-person free tax preparation sites throughout California, but there are many ways to get your taxes filed free. You can choose to file them yourself or consider using free virtual preparer.
myfreetaxes photo.png

Still need Assistance? Have questions? We may be able to help. Click on the

link below to answer a few simple questions so that we can better assist you.

The link above with take you to a quick questionnaire that will be delivered to our certified VITA Tax Preparation volunteers. Your answers will help them determine how to help you get your taxes filed.

What you'll need for tax preparation.


-Valid Photo ID for taxpayer and spouse.


-Valid Social Security Cards or ITIN #'s for taxpayer, spouse, and dependents. (Acceptable substitutes are a letter from the Social Security Administration, form SSA-1099 or Medicare card that includes the letter "A" after the SSN.)


-Birth dates for self, spouse and dependents


-All income statements: W-2, 1099’s, Social Security Benefits statements, etc.


-Any Interest and dividend statements from banks (form 1099).


-A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available.


-Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit if there is a refund.


-Statement from & Tax ID# from a childcare provider. 


-Total paid for daycare (if applicable) and the daycare provider’s identifying number.

-Proof of Medical Insurance form 1095-A, 1095-B or 1095-C.


-Other income/expense information if applicable (e.g. Tuition Credit, Form 1098-T, Student Loan Interest form 1098-E. Tip, gambling, lottery or other income. Retirement income or payments from pensions. Self-employment income/expenses.





If you didn’t get the full Economic Impact Payment, you may be eligible to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit

If you didn’t get any payments or got less than the full amounts, you may qualify for the credit to get your money, even if you don’t normally file taxes. See Recovery Rebate Credit for more information.