top of page

ITIN Information

How do I know if I need an ITIN?
  1. You are ineligible for a Social Security number.
  2. You want or need to file your federal tax return.
  3. You are one of the following:
    1. Nonresident alien who is required to file a U.S. tax return
    2. U.S. resident alien who is (based on days present in the
      U.S.) filing a U.S. tax return
    3. Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien2
    4. Dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder
    5. Nonresident alien claiming a tax treaty benefits
    6. Nonresident alien student, professor or researcher filing a U.S. tax return or claiming an exception
For more information on tax residency status, please CLICK HERE

How do I apply for an ITIN?
  1. You must file out a W-7 form
  2. Prepare your tax return.
  3. Mail your W-7 form, tax return, proof of identity, and foreign status documents to:
    • Internal Revenue Service
      Austin Service Center
      ITIN Operation
      P.O. Box 149342
      Austin, TX 78714-9342

      *Important note: You will only file your taxes at the address above once when you initially file the W-7 form with your taxes to get an ITIN. In following tax years, you will mail your tax return to the address listed on the tax return instructions.
  4. For other ways to file for your ITIN, please CLICK HERE

How do I learn more?
  1. For instructions on how to fill out Form W-7, please CLICK HERE
  2. To learn if you are eligible for a Social Security Number, please CLICK HERE

  1. IRS: How Do I Apply For An ITIN
  2. IRS: Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
  3. NILC: Facts About The ITIN
bottom of page